Sunday, September 21, 2014

Birth story

Cash Monroe Lindquist was born on September 13, 2014 at 10:14 am, he was 21 inches long and 7 pounds 12 ounces of perfection.
Scott and I still can't believe that he came on his actual due date, but we are so happy he did!
On Friday September 12, Scott and I drove down to Vancouver (where the hospital we delivered at is) with all of our bags packed and ready to stay at Scott's parents house JUST IN CASE Cash decided to come during the weekend, which we were crossing our fingers for. With Optometry school having started in August Scott couldn't really afford to miss any school days, so him coming on a weekend was the perfect situation.
All day Friday I was thinking that this baby is definitely not coming anytime soon, all along I had a feeling I was going to be overdue for sure. I did not expect our weekend in Vancouver to end with me rushing to the hospital and delivering our sweet little boy.
It started with Scott and I taking a long 4 mile walk around town to try to start things moving along. After the walk I didn't feel any different, and decided I wanted to make brownies, buy some ice cream to go with them, and rent a movie. At 10:30pm, as soon as we were about to settle down to some dessert and a movie my water broke. At first I didn't realize what was happening, I was in denial that I was actually going into labor. Scott and I didn't know what to do, we never thought we would be in this situation. So Scott called the on call physician at my doctor's office and she told us to go to the hospital. Scott and I were both in disbelief that the time had finally come to meet our baby boy. Scott kept saying, "holy crap, we're going to have a baby!" So as calmly as possible we gathered all the things we needed to head to the hospital. I waited for Scott in the car as he went in the house to grab our overnight bag, which he managed to forget to grab after three times of running in and out of the house, it's safe to say he was a little in shock.
I was admitted to the hospital at 10:50pm and was dilated at a 2. They wanted to make sure I was progressing before given an epidural, so Scott and I walked around the hospital for a while to get the contractions going. They started coming a minute apart. Contractions were way more painful than I imagined they would be, thank goodness I had Scott there to hold onto. Every contraction I would put my arms up around his neck and breath very deep and slow. I have to admit I even had to hurt him a little to get through some of them. At 1:00am I was dilated at a 4 and wanted the epidural ASAP. So they hooked me up to an IV and started giving me fluid so they could give me the epidural. At 1:50am I was finally given the epidural. I had always been a little nervous for this part, the thought of not being able to move or feel my legs scared me! But no. Numbness. Best thing ever. I was so relaxed. After having contractions for hours I was in heaven once the epidural set in. I was hooked up to a monitor which monitored the baby's heartbeat and my contractions. At one point the baby's heart rate was slowing so they put a monitor on his head and I was given oxygen. I couldn't help but stare at the screen checking my baby boys heartbeat all night long. 
Now we waited.
All night long.
Scott's mom Velenti stayed with Scott and I in the hospital that night anticipating the arrival of Cash. We all took our guesses as to when we thought Cash would be born, I said 6:45am, Scott 7:13am, and Velenti 8:23am. Boy were we all wrong! Scott kept laughing and saying "We're having a baby! He is ours to be responsible for forever!" Which to I responded that I wasn't worried about raising him, I'm worried about delivering him!
At around 8:00am I started pushing.  I pushed for 2 1/2 hours. pure EXHAUSTION, especially from being up all night long. Scott held my leg on one side with my nurse on the other. At every contraction I would push 3 times, 10 seconds each. Scott counted up to 10 out loud for me which helped a lot. The doctor kept telling me to push harder, push harder. Once the final push arrived my doctor told me to stop pushing right away, the cord was wrapped around his neck really tight and she had to cut it. After that, I felt him slide right out and he was immediately set him on my chest for about 2 seconds before they took him away. He was chalk white. Tons of nurses rushed in immediately to help, I was so out of it I didn't know what was happening besides the fact that I couldn't hear him crying, I kept asking Scott why he wasn't crying. He laid on the baby table motionless arms and legs laying flat at his sides. After rubbing on him and working with him for what seemed like forever he made his first little cry.
His first breath really did take ours away. 
He was cleaned off and set on my chest. Words can't describe what I felt in that moment. My heart has never been fuller, having my son laying on my chest, so innocent and pure. Cash was so alert with his eyes wide open just looking up at me. Scott and I both just looked at each other and at Cash and cried with happiness. We both completely fell in love with him.
Giving birth was definitely the hardest thing I've ever had to do, and the most rewarding.
































 photo sig-5.png

3 comments:

  1. Oh my. Sweetest words and sweetest memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Absolutely precious!!! Congratulations!!!!! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet story! Thanks for sharing! And I love the photos... definitely a MUST in a birth story! Soooo precious! HAPPY MOMMY HOOD!

    ReplyDelete


Pin It